Monday, November 21, 2011

An Introduction to the Anti-Librarian

Hello and Welcome to the Thoughts of an Anti-Librarian. Allow me to introduce myself and explain why I am doing this. I am a 20 year veteran of teaching and have been an elementary school Librarian/Teacher for about 13 years. I consider myself an Anti-Librarian, because I am not your typical book lender. First of all, I am in the minority as an Elementary School Librarian, I am male. Secondly, I can't stand quiet. I need movement, sound and color. My classroom (yes, I consider my Library a classroom) is always active, with people sharing and discussing ideas. The room is a vibrant colorful place that changes as the school year goes on.

At the beginning of this school year I was transferred from a 5-6 school to a K-5 school. (I hadn't been in a school with younger grades in 9 years. I was looking forward to it and hoping it would revitalize my career. I had started to get stagnant in my job.) This move has been an amazing thing for me. I am getting back in touch with the children's literature that I missed teaching with and I am becoming a better teacher, using creative, new ideas in my teaching.  

So, why am I writing this? I enjoying Blogging, I have a Disney World Blog called, "Unknown Magic Within Walt Disney Worldthat I have been writing for about a year and a half. I decided to write this blog as a way for me to share ideas about books, libraries and teaching. As I say in the Who am I to Say? Box on the side of the page, I may not be as well read as some other people, but I am creative and think "outside the box". I hope you enjoy my thoughts and will share yours with me also. 

No comments:

Post a Comment