Monday, June 4, 2012

Moving Away From Dewey

As I move away from Dewey, the first thought I encountered was how do I separate my sections? Many people have argued, Dewey has its problems, but if you go away from it, isn't your new system going to have problems also? And if so, then why bother? I'm sure my new categorizing will have its share of complications, for example when I first started thinking about my sections I wondered where books about Pirates or Medieval times would go. (I have since decided that both of these will go into my World History section.)

For my new system, I have decided to use a modified version of the BISAC (Book Industry Standards and Communications) Headings, which according to the Book Industry Study Group website is used by "Many of the major businesses within the North American book industry"; In other words, these are the same headings that Amazon and Barnes & Noble use. In deciding to use these headings, I thought about how best to make it easy for my students to find materials, that would make sense to them.

The following list contains the section headings I plan on using.

ART
COOKING
CRAFTS
GARDENING/FARMING
GRAPHIC NOVELS
HEALTH AND HUMAN BODY
HISTORY
HOLIDAYS AND CUSTOMS
HUMOR
LANGUAGE
MATH
MUSIC
NATURE: ANIMALS
NATURE: EARTH
PLACES
SCARY
SPACE
SPORTS
STORIES (FOLK TALES/MYTHOLOGY/FAIRY TALES)
TRANSPORTATION

Other possible headings are:

BUSINESS
CULTURE
MACHINES
SCIENCE
TECHNOLOGY

I'm being realistic in that, I'm thinking I may find that I need to modify my headings as I get into this endeavor, if that happens, I will update my list here also. I will also keep you informed of any other things that arise as I move ahead with this project.  




No comments:

Post a Comment